Sunday, January 08, 2006

Linguists at Heart

Practicing... on learn to speak the language of the heart with fluency. on 43 Things

I'm so encouraged that NVC has been a positive influence in others' lives, and very happy to have been the one to introduce it to a few of the friends I've made on 43T and elsewhere. I enjoy the camaraderie and learning we share on our NVC practice group, Synergy Communication (if only it wasn't based on Yahoo! for those who have been bit!) Here's an interesting exchange that took place there recently when a new member used an unfamiliar expression and I asked for the meaning:

Bill wrote:
>
> I am happy to share. Thank you for asking!
>
> Gassho is a Japanese word that means, more or less, "bowing with
> hands palm-to-palm". One of my teachers taught me to use it in
> letters when I wanted communicate deep respect and gratitude. I
> wanted to do that here, for I appreciate having a group of people
> that I can reach out to as I explore NVC.
>
> And so... Gassho!
>
> Bill

Once I learned its meaning, I had to know how it is pronounced so that whenever I read it in my head, I will "hear" it as it's meant to be received. According to this Japanese page, the word is pronounced with a long 'A' (gae-show) with the accent on the first syllable(?) if I'm translating correctly. So, in that light,

Gassho, Tomodachi and to all those practicing compassion in our lives!
Penne (pronounced like the coin or the pasta :),
linguist at heart learning the language of the heart

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?